If you are thinking of selling your house on your own then you want to familiarize yourself with what lies ahead. Here are things you should know and do when selling your home:
Prepare your house
The first thing you want to do is go through your house and make it presentable. The house needs to be appealing to buyers. This may not be as easy as you think when selling your house on your own. You want to know what some of the main things are that appeal to buyers, so you can focus on those areas. Some of the places you can start include:
- Curb appeal – Fix broken fences, get your grass looking great, clean up the foliage, remove dead and diseased trees, paint the exterior if needed, clean the roof gutters and add eye appealing décor/flowers.
- Roof condition – If your roof is showing signs of oncoming issues then you may want to have it repaired or completely replaced if it is at that age.
- Electrical condition – It's going to be hard to find someone who's willing to take on electrical problems. So, if your electrical system is out dated, it may be worth it to have a professional come out and take care of everything it needs to make it current.
- Plumbing condition – Plumbing problems are something else that can make your home hard to sell. Old or troubled plumbing should also be dealt with before showing your house.
- Interior issues – If the inside of your house is in need of fresh paint, new carpet, new permanent appliances, or anything else then they should be addressed.
- Pest issues – If you have an infestation anywhere on your property then the best thing you can do is get rid of those pests and clean up all signs of them before attempting to sell the house.
- Mold issues – Mold issues can be a nightmare and this is why you may find your house nearly impossible to sell until you have rid your home of those issues.
Advertise your home
Once you feel your home is ready to show, you want to advertise it. The best thing to do is advertise it online, with a sign in the front yard and through word of mouth. It is also a great idea to have your home put in as many local advertising publications as possible.
Showing your home
You may think showing your home is going to be the easy part. However, it may prove to be more of a pain. You can get picky buyers who insult your home the whole time only to try to bring you way down in price.
The benefits of a real estate agent
You should really consider going with a real estate agent. They can help in so many ways. They will know what things really should be addressed around your property and what things you can forego, so you don't end up spending money you really didn't have to. They will take care of all of the advertising for you. They will also be the ones to show your home, so you don't have to worry with those potentially problematic buyers.
For more information, contact companies like RE/MAX INLAND EMPIRE.